Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alcohol and conversation

Do you find that conversations go a lot smoother when drinking (or already having drunk) ?

Now, I have already been informed that alcohol is a "social lubricant", but I would like to know more. How is it like KY Jelly?

1. (A)Is the conversation better because you are more relaxed? Does that mean you are usually tense or otherwise your inhibitions stifle the conversation potential? .... That sounds like you might want to explore that further.

(B) Is the conversation better because the other party is more relaxed, so it's not really your inebriation that makes the difference? Analogous conclusions can be drawn here.

2. Is it less about being relaxed and more about alcohol encouraging social interaction and interpersonal fun? So it does alter you in a way that makes you a better, more interesting person to be around? This certainly seems unlikely, especially if you can't hold your liquor.


3. Or is the obvious conclusion merely that your standards are lowered to such an extent (think beer goggles for conversation...beer earplugs?) that you just think you've had a great talk, when in reality it was as mundane and pointless as the rest of your life?

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting topic, and one that I've spent a while musing.

    I don't drink. I used to drink. A lot.
    I felt for a long time that alcohol was a social lubricant in that my inhibitions were gone so I could say whatever. I felt charming and smart. But really, I just wasn't comfortable with being myself, with really owning my situation or my personality or what I had to say. I wasn't comfortable with being me! Alcohol made it so easy to be myself and to be ok with that, and I think that's why a lot of people drink - to loosen up and feel comfortable as themselves, because they just don't know how to do it otherwise.

    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So then it is a crutch after all?

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, to me I think it makes the other person more quick to laughter, and if my companion is not laughing or smiling, I find it extremely hard to talk to them, so that part helps me. Also, it makes people more open to doing crazy things, and that is also good for me since the things I'd want to do while sober are often the things other people would only want to do while drunk.
    That being said, I try to seek out the kind of person who can laugh and want to do crazy things without the aid of alcohol. That's the kind of person I want to surround myself with. To be honest, when I ask someone to do something with me and they say something like "I'd have to have a few drinks first" or "only if I'm really drunk," I think of them as pathetic and cowardly. That's really harsh, but I value the ability to enjoy life without the excuse of drugs or alcohol very highly in a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah but people are so judgmental when you do crazy things sober. Those jerks... making me pretend to be drunk.

    ReplyDelete