Sunday, January 31, 2010

Happiness

Is happiness the opposite of sadness? If I am not sad, then am I happy?

Hobbies. Hobbies make people happy. Keeping busy is a way to avoid "those thoughts". From personal experience it is true, when I am busy worrying about the mundane details, I rarely bother to question the significance of those things or the soundness of my emotional state. But is that something to aspire to?

Certainly achieving this happiness must take work, but must it also take consistent, never-ending investment to maintain such a state?

I would love to hear how you've built and keep up your happiness, or how you plan to do so, or why you don't plan on doing so.

Thanks.


3 comments:

  1. you guys kind of suck at replying to things, all 2 of you who read this. Or, alternatively, I suck at asking questions that are worth a response. Hmm, conundrum indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also need some hobbies. All hobbies seemed so intriguing when I had no time to pursue them. Now that I have so much time they seem much less interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is definitely a gray area between happiness and sadness. No one can be constantly happy all the time, but isn't it weird that people can be constantly sad all of the time? ;)

    The thing about hobbies is that you try to find one when you're depressed, but the truth of the matter is, is that you really don't give a shit. You're just doing it to occupy time. You do it because someone told you to do it because it will make you feel better. My therapist last year encouraged me to start water painting. I did. It helped for a while. Made some great shit. It wore off.

    Happiness is so, so, so incredibly hard to maintain. How can you be happy if you don't even like yourself? I feel like internally you should be happy before external things make you happy. Does that make any sense? It's almost 4 in the morning.

    Happiness, I want you.

    Night, bunny.

    ReplyDelete